Every pregnancy I'm plagued by terrible indecisiveness. This pregnancy is no exception. We have yet to pick a name for our sweet girl, and each day she reminds me with strong kicks that she is coming soon! With Luke, we had his name picked out early on, even before we were expecting him. His name means "bearer of light", which he is, so we only had to pick his middle name. He was almost Luke Harrison, but when I wrote Luke Michael on a pad of paper, I knew that it was right. I couldn't think of a name for Leah to save my life. Michael called from work one day and decisively stated, "Leah. I want her name to be Leah." I wasn't exactly sold on her name, mostly because her name means "weary" or "weak-eyed" and also because she was the sister that Jacob didn't want. But when I reread biblical Leah's story, I saw the unfolding of the gospel message, as God redeemed what was a hopeless situation. He bestowed His love on an unloved woman and chose her to be the great, great, great...grandmother of Christ! And it seemed to me that as she named her children she became less reliant on the affections of Jacob and more in love with her Lord. Yes, Michael chose a great name. And now, we're expecting our third. And we can't agree on a name! Although I like many names, I think I may be waiting for angels to sing to let me know the right one. Yes, I know that is not going to happen. However will I decide what to call this little person for the rest of her life when I can't even decide what I want to eat or wear? So, I'm polling you blog-readers. Tell me what you think! You may suggest one we haven't thought of, or tell me which one you like the most. Do try to refrain from heartlessly bashing a name, just in case I do use it. Oh, I know that you are all too sweet and wonderful to do that! Here is our list so far (most of which one of us likes and the other doesn't):
Molly, Kathryn, Josie, Annie, Lydia, Sophie, Rowan, Evelyn (Evie), Alice, Reese, and Macy.
However will we choose? I have prayed and deliberated, but am getting nowhere and growing larger by the day! Help, please!
14 comments:
I think Kathryn one of my favorites of those. It's beautiful and yet you can shorten it in so many ways and I think it means "pure", which I like. We almost used Kathryn Joy (which, of course, means "pure joy"). And that's what babies are, right? I also like Sophie... cute and spunky, like your little girl is likely to be!
We had the same indecisiveness with ours.... don't worry, it works out just fine!
You know I love most all of the names! Of course, I LOVE Evie! It means "light and life". But one that I know you have gone to over and over, Molly, actually has a meaning other than "sea of bitterness". "The name Molly is generally used as a nick name for Mary; its origin is from the Gaelic
(Irish) version of the name Mary, Maeili which means the expression Wished-for child." I don't know why, but when I read this I kept thinking how Michael wished for this child. I know, though, that whatever name the two of you choose, it will be fitting! Of course, you can always use my proven stategy!LOL!
I love Kathryn!
I'm a fan of Lydia and Alice! So cute! I know it is such a tough decision...but just remind yourself that the Lord already knows her name. Just ask Him to tell you what it is!
Ooooh, they are all so sweet. I can see why you're struggling. I really like Evie, Macy and Rowan.
Well, of course, I'm partial to Molly oh, and I absolutely adore Sophie!!
Just open the back door and shout each name as loud as you can...the one that sounds the best wins :)
I love the name Mary Ruth. Reminds me of Mary's obedience and Ruth's loyalty. They are my two favorite women of the Bible. Evie is awfully cute though!
You know I am partial to the name Kathryn (even though we spelled ours differently)...I actually love all the names you listed. As you and Michael continue to pray over names, He will reveal the perfect one in time. I am just excited that you are having another girl - we are partial....
Lydia is cute, keep the L thing going, Evie is nice too, what until she gets here and see what she looks like to you! I was lucky had already decided our first born son would be Corey Alexander because Corey is my husband's middle name, then when we found out it was twin boys, I knew I wanted another C name, actually my husband called me at work one day and said what about Christian Nathaniel, Nathaniel means gift from God. I'll admit I liked Caleb, but was out numbered in the vote, now I can't see him as anything else but Christian! Good luck, it is a tough decision!
I love Josie, Lydia and Sophie. I've always been partial to Josie and I've told you why before...couldn't talk my hubby into although. Write down the initials of each listed name and make sure it doesn't spell something crazy. It's amazing what 3 little letters can spell. Ask me about it sometime:)
I think they're all beautiful! (I especially love Evie!) We had the same problem with our last 2, so we didn't make the final decision until we saw them. Sometimes you can just hold them in your arms and just know.
I understand your dilemma, we have been stressing some over naming ours too, although I think we finally settled on Aiden Lee. I love all of your names; I don't think any of them would be a bad choice...my favorites are definitely Molly and Sophie!
I love Alice!!! And Annie, too. But I love Alice more. :)
I don't know which one is my favorite, but in the end, it doesn't matter what any of us say, you will pick what is right for you and Michael. I think sometimes as someone mentioned, you just have to see them to know what name they 'look like' if that makes sense. With both of mine, we didn't know what we were going to call them until the last little bit. So....don't worry, it will work itself out. Don't stress :) A friend of mine waited a couple days until after her baby was born to name her. She just wanted to make sure the name she picked out fit. I'll pray for your peace and a decision for you. Love ya!
Post a Comment