Friday, February 26, 2010

The Treasure of Girlfriends

God brought this song to my mind the other day when I was thinking of how richly He has blessed me through my friends. I feel that the women God has given me in my life are not only people I love to talk to or hang out with. Some I talk to often, but others I see rarely, and yet they still shape who I am. Collectively, they give me strength and help me remember who I am and who my God is. Individually, they each add something beautiful and unique to this life of mine. They are warm and funny, real, sometimes sad, supportive, imperfect, faithful, loving... Words can't really describe how much I treasure them. I have friends that have led me, poured their hearts into me, and been willing to tell me the truth, even if it wasn't what I wanted to hear at the time. Their prayers and sincere love are the feet on which I stand. I have friends that give me flowers just because they want me to feel treasured. Friends that love my children, and will keep them for me, sometimes for days at a time! I even have a sister and mother-in-law that I consider true heart friends, regardless of whether or not Michael could lay claim to them first. My friends offer help, but are also willing to accept it from me sometimes, because they know it brings me joy. They overlook my unruly tongue and unfulfilled good intentions (much more than they should have to). They spur me on to a closer walk with God, and a holy discontentment that makes me yearn for more of Him. They encourage me with a smile in the car line or an encouraging comment on my blog and brighten each and every day. Do you see why I feel so blessed? I'll never be able to thank them, but God knows that to me, their value is without measure. To those of you that read this, know that you have enriched my life by letting me be a part of yours. "May the blessing return to you...a hundredfold."

4 comments:

thewheelerfamily said...

I have often felt the same way. Thanks for putting into words how I feel about you and other women God had blessed me with. I can remember several months ago standing in church during worship next to you and Wendy. We had our busy girls with us and yet I thought what a treasure I have to be able to worship with my friends plus my children worshipping alongside of us.

Melanie said...

You are such a great writer. I treasure you much more than you know.

Jackie said...

Jennifer, you are such an encouragement. I'm so glad we've reconnected in the bloggy world!

Scarlett said...

I think it is the friend in you that brings out the best of us. You have so influenced my life in the most postive of ways and I am grateful more than you know to call you my friend.