Friday, June 26, 2009

When in Rome...




Today was the last day of VBS and we had a fabulous week. I'm totally spent, but in a wonderfully satisfying way. This year's VBS had a super cool set up, and the kids were transported to first century Rome each day. Their bible lesson was taught by Paul (George Searcy) who was under house arrest and chained to Brutus (Kevin Nelson). He shared from his letter to the underground church in Rome (Romans) and then we went to a cave where the Christians were meeting to deliver Paul's good news. The kids loved being taught by Lucia (Barbara Oliphant) and Marcus (Scotty Keenan) in the dark, underground church and listened out for Roman soldiers who were searching to arrest them! So cool! Each kid received 3 denarii to spend in the marketplace where they went to different shops to do crafts (gramatticus, wood working, architecture, leather making, metal working, scribe...). Really, really neat! They saved one denarus for their food. The recreation time was with Daphne (Cook) the Great and they did lots of creative Roman activities in the sweltering heat. Props to Daphne for not melting! It was ridiculously hot! Marjorie Searcy did a fabo job leading music and the songs were awesome, too. Thanks Laura Zakutney for the pics! Really it was all great! Mega thanks to Sarah and Marty for all of their hard work (tons of hard work!)! I had a super sweet group of young 'un's who encouraged me at least as much as I did them! They learned 3 memory verses in just one week and I could barely keep up with their ability to learn. They are precious! Luke and Leah had a great time too and learned a ton. Luke's favorite part was the marketplace and Leah's favorite part was eating goldfish. The way to Leah's heart is definitely through her tummy. She did love all of the songs, too, and was all about doing every hand motion! Michael may be a bit glad that VBS is over because I've pretty much neglected everything else. The inside of my car looks like a bomb went off, and we've had to step over all of the laundry that I've had piled in our bedroom all week. Maybe I should go put some away instead of typing on this blog! I do get to have a date night with Michael tonight - hooray! We're gonna try out the new sushi place in Fairhope, so I'll post an official review later. I still haven't done a thing with all the blueberries (besides eat a ton and freeze the rest). One day, maybe! I didn't realize how often I use the word "ton" until now! Oh well! Have a great weekend, ya'll!
"Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is God's will, what is good and acceptable and perfect." Romans 12:2

No comments: