Sunday, December 7, 2008

How Deep the Father's Love for Us

Okay, have you ever felt irreparably damaged? Not to be depressing here, but I've felt this way lately. Do ya'll know that verse that says if your arm causes you to sin, cut it off? I thought this week, if only it were that easy! My sin is in and through me and all I've inherited threatens to choke me sometimes. Don't be worried; I know that my Savior is bigger. This song was like a healing balm to me this morning. I hope it encourages you too!

"How deep the Father's love for us, how vast beyond all measure
That He should give His only Son, and make a wretch His treasure
How great the pain of searing loss, the Father turned His face away
As wounds which marred the Chosen One, bringing many sons to glory

Behold the Man upon the cross, my sin upon His shoulder
Ashamed I heard my mocking voice, call out among the scoffers
It was my sin that held Him there, until it was accomplished
His dying breath has brought me life, I know that it is finished

I will not boast in anything, no gifts, no power, no wisdom
But I will boast in Jesus Christ, His death and resurrection
Why should I gain from His reward, I cannot give an answer
But this I know with all my heart, His wound has paid my ransom"

2 comments:

April Brown said...

This is one of my all time favorite hymns! I went through a rough patch a couple of summers ago and this song ministered to me sooo much!!

I think I know what you mean by "irreparably damaged". I thought for a long time the Lord would not make any sense out of my past and then one day He gave me a glimpse! It was like an "ah-ha" moment. Not that I don't struggle with feeling broken, but now I know that in Christ I can/will be healed!!

Thanks for reminding me of the song...it's definitely a source of comfort!!!

Beth Scott said...

I can totally relate Jenn! I have been there many times. I see 'the sins of the fathers' in myself and what I've passed on to my own children and it makes me so frustrated and discouraged sometimes. But I know that God is Sovereign and that He uses my mistakes for His glory. I'm so glad that He is in control and I'm not! I know that He will continue to perfect the work He started in me. Amen! I love that hymn too. I'm so grateful for His DEEP love for us.