Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Gettin' Busy!

No, Michael, I am not talking about that! He he! I'm referring to this project-frenzy I'm in right now. I thought that I might blog and get my thoughts together, because I keep noticing things around the house that I've neglected, and I'm getting overwhelmed. Case in point:
IMG_4386
Ain't that attractive? Can you tell that the heat and I had a fight this summer and that the heat won? The sweet older gentleman across the street must be bothered beyond belief looking at that. He waters his lawn with a hose each evening, with that sad topiary staring back at him. He often has mercy on me and brings my trashcan up the drive or puts my dog up when the kids leave the gate open. If only his water hose stretched that far... Anyway, enough dreaming! Now that Luke's back in school, and we've assumed a schedule again, I feel that I must get some things accomplished. To focus on the positive, here's one problem that I've addressed. See if you can guess what was bothering me about this grouping:
IMG_4172
Yes, it's the brown chair with the brown table with the brown basket. Each one on it's own is fine, but together, it looks as if a Hersey kiss upchucked in the corner. I tried to remedy the situation without spending money. I couldn't paint the table, because it's one of my few side tables with value and I can't ruin that wood. So I spied a cheaper one across the room:
IMG_4173
The marble is lighter and would break up all of the dark brown. I made sure that the empire table wouldn't annoy me there.
IMG_4181
Yes, that's fine. I don't mind it's darkness when it's in front of the windows. The marble top table still wasn't light enough, so I did what I always do and picked through my extensive spray paint collection. I'll publicly admit my addiction to paint and fabric. Please love me anyway. I decided against off-white (my personal favorite), because the cabinets behind the chair are that color. So, gray it was!
IMG_4182
I spray-painted it gray, then sanded it, then rubbed on some stain that I immediately rubbed off. The wood was very flawed already, so it needed a distressed finish. The difference isn't amazing, but I'm content that this grouping has a little contrast now. I've also painted two other tables (one off-white, the other a light blue-green) to break up overly brown areas in my home. Also in the "done" category:
Changed out light fixture in the kitchen (without hiring an electrician or shocking myself:); Polyurethaned front door; Glued back on glass knobs that had fallen off; Fixed broken arm on outdoor patio set; Sewed new, over sized couch pillows. IMG_4377
See how I slipped in a pic of my cutie when showing you those couch pillows? Watch me; I'm sneaky like that! Now for the "to do"'s:
- Paint back door (it's just plain nasty and the magic eraser ain't touching it anymore)
- Figure out what to do with those dead plants by the front door (though they would make nice Halloween decorations)
- Paint dining room a new color. The current color: "high tea" by Sherwin Williams (a dark brownish-green).
It will be "wedgewood gray" by Benjamin Moore (it looks greenish-blue when on the wall)
- organize Laney and Leah's closets and sort clothes by size so that I can find them when Laney needs them
- Deal with my out-of-control picture situation
- Polyurethane the front porch swing before it rots
- Redo Luke's room (his birthday present!) Here's a before of the bed:
IMG_4345
Okay, I somehow feel better just having a list. I'll be sure to post pics of Luke's Alabama room when I finish. I'm going to attempt to give him the theme he wants without making it too terribly tacky. We shall see if it's possible. Let's get 'er done, ya'll!

2 comments:

Scarlett said...

And since you are so driven , my house will be waiting when you are finished! I need your determination and energy!

Jackie said...

I'm so inspired by your to do list. So much creativity. Though, as a renter I don't have complete creative liberty.

And I love that you have "an extensive spray paint collection." Awesome.

Cute pic of the baby and the husband.