Today I went to Walmart again. Are you shuddering in fear? I planned it well, I thought. Baby fed and ready for a nap in her carseat. Leah in a sweet and helpful mood. List in hand, feet ready to rush through the store with lightning speed. But, as we all know, things don't always go as we plan. I managed to get the razors, sunscreen, and soap before Laney-girl began to grumble. Grabbed my mother's day cards and a kid's birthday present before the grumble was a wail. I tried in vain to bump and to comfort her, but she wasn't having it. Leah and I ran to the check-out with no groceries as Laney showed the other shoppers just how well her lungs worked. Sigh. On the ride home, I remembered that country song "It won't be like this for long." Sweet perspective from Darius Rucker (remember him from Hootie and the Blowfish - I love his voice; isn't it cool that he went country?). She was fine once we got home. I let her stretch out and kick with her diaper off. She smiled and cooed, and gave me her sweet little cough-laugh. All that she wants is to be fed, naked, and not go to Walmart. I suppose that's not much to ask! This little Laney couldn't be more beautiful (I know I'm biased:), but she's a fussy little thing. People want to hold her, but they end up handing her back to me fairly quickly (with a few sweet exceptions). I actually started talking to myself last week after a tough trip to the ballpark, when she wouldn't even be consoled once we got home: "Babies cry; it's what they do. Babies cry; it's what they do. Babies cry..." I'll bet Laney was thinking, "Whoa! She's really lost it now!" But even in the midst of hard days, my gratefulness for this little girl is overwhelming. She has already stolen my heart! When I lose perspective, I have to make myself stop and talk to my Father, and let Him teach me to trust. Each time I do, He reminds me that I am His child and all that He requires of me is to lean on Him. Today, He picked me up from the mire of the to-do lists that I haven't done and set me on His shoulders like a child that didn't want to walk anymore. From His shoulders, I can rest and I can see the big picture. What a beautiful place it is when I'm simply trusting in His love and plan for me! I hope that as I trust Him in the small things, like a random Walmart trip, I will learn to trust Him in the big things, too.
"Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus." Philippians 4:6-7
"The child leans on its parent's breast,
Leaves there its cares and is at rest;
The bird sits singing by his nest,
And tells aloud
His trust in God, and so is blest
'Neath every cloud.
He has no store, he sows no seed;
Yet sings aloud, and doth not heed;
By flowing stream or grassy mead,
He sings to shame
Men, who forget, in fear of need,
A Father's name.
The heart that trusts for ever sings,
And feels as light as it had wings;
A well of peach within it springs;
Come good or ill.
Whate'er today, tomorrow, brings,
It is his will."
Isaac Williams

8 comments:
I love that smile she gave her daddy. It made me grin and chuckle. Too precious.
She's so beautiful, Jennifer! Thanks for sharing the pics...and the story.
I am in tears, remembering to not be anxious because I have Christ, who promises everything according to His will!! So, thank you!!
And, the picture of Michael and Laney is adorable...I'm seeing it in a frame on the wall :)
Adorable baby...what a smile! Oh, and I don't know if you've tried a carrier, but Katherine was the same way (very fussy) until I discovered the Snugli (which Dylan had hated) worked miracles for her. I carried her in that thing (facing me) constantly for the next 6 months! It made all the difference in the world during my grocery store trips!! Hang in there...you obviously already have the right perspective...thanks for sharing.
thanks for your encouragement, everyone! i actually have a carrier and haven't tried it yet, cindy. i'm getting it out now! she liked the sling for a while, but doesn't anymore. maybe the carrier is the ticket! crossing my fingers!
ok...you need to get Michael to make your WalMart runs for you for awhile. That baby is precious...could eat her up. Making a trip down there in June..hope I can meet her. Hang in there!
Messed up above! Girl, you are truly an inspiration and such a good writer! I know God is working through you daily. I admire your ability to see that small ray of light through the frustrations of infanthood. This is such a short time and what a blessing to remember that "this too shall pass"! I do believe you will come away with more than most.
Post a Comment