Okay, I am not totally secluded - I'm surrounded by tiny ones and a husband who comes home on time and doesn't travel (hallelujah!). However, it does seem that everyone I know is sick right now and I have a newborn to keep well. Seriously, doesn't everyone seem to have a cold or stomach bug? It's a bit sad to have to avoid your own friends! I do rather enjoy sitting in my p.j.'s for the majority of the day, holding and admiring my little Laney. Yet, I do get energy from being around others, and feel a bit like an island lately. So, I will blog! I can't catch a virus this way, can I? Here are a few tidbits from our life as of late:
- Laney gave the nurses a bit of a scare in the hospital when she stopped breathing for a few seconds (on two occasions). They checked her lungs and heart (both great!), but finally determined the cause to be acid reflux. We went home with an apnea monitor, but she hasn't had any more "spells". I give her zantac twice a day, and she seems perfect. She's also eating like a little piglet and has a gi-normous belly because of it! And if projectile pooping were a sport, we could expect to see Laney in the Olympics one day! (TMI, I know).
- Luke stated the other day that we were having an awesome food day. "I love having babies," he remarked. "People bring you really good food." That's exactly why I had another one, my wise little boy! He also adores his new sis and calls her "Angel." He'll look at her and say "Isn't she just perfect?" He said that he wouldn't sell her for all the money in all the world, or for all of the toys in all the world. Precious! I questioned him to see if this same statement applied to his other sister (whom he loves to aggravate), and he said that it did. What would I have said if he had named a price for Leah? Thankfully, he answered well!
- Leah has been going through a clingy stage since a little before we had Laney. She doesn't want to leave me or "her" baby, even when enticed by a trip out for ice cream and a play date at a friend's house. She, too, adores Laney, although she can't remember her name to save her life. She usually calls her "Baby Girl", but when pressed to call her an actual name, will revert to "Evie". No matter how much we remind her, she'll forget after a small amount of time. That's what we get for naming her something totally different right at the end! Leah also seems extra emotional about things, so I'm trying to reassure her as much as possible. Saturday, she got upset in the car and said, "I don't ever want to be a grown up," as she began to tear up. "Why not?" I asked. "Because then I'll have to move away from you, and I'll miss you, and I may even forget you!" was her dramatic reply. I told her that she could always live with us, if she wanted (knowing that she won't want to one day). She asked several more questions about us all living together as grown-ups, and seemed pleased. "I'll tell all of my friends at school that I'm living with you when I'm a grown-up. I guess Daddy can be both of our husband, right?"
- Michael has been sooooo helpful! He's always been a wonderful husband and father, but not always as good at jumping in during the baby stage. He has been so great about taking the initiative to help, without my nagging. Thank goodness, because nagging is so exhausting:)! Laney gets a bit fussy in the evening, and he has taken her from me several times to soothe her. He'll get her quieted down and say, "See? She likes it when you sing to her, pat her back and ...." "Don't worry, though. It doesn't make you a bad parent or anything." He still makes me laugh!
- I've been trying to keep up with the laundry and diaper changes. Not getting much sleep yet, but not crazy yet, either. I really am enjoying being home with a new one. I guess that I didn't even know that I missed it! Showers have become a bit of a luxury, and if I take the time to wash my hair, I probably won't have time to dry it. Suffice to say I have looked like a wreck since Laney's birth. I have been able to catch up on some of my TV programs, because tiny ones take a long time to nurse. I just watched a recorded episode of "The Office" and thought it was so cool that Pam had her baby the same day that I did! How awesome am I? I love the part in that episode when Pam realizes she nursed another person's baby throughout the night. Too funny! I didn't do that, by the way. Very funny episode! An unmentioned perk of nursing: having to stop and sit for a while. Kind of nice! Now I should get up and try to accomplish something!
5 comments:
I remember those days so well! And Leah reminds me so much of Katherine, who was 5 when Isaac was born. She was really clingy and made the same comments. But they absolutely adore each other now. Just wait...as soon as little Laney starts treating Leah like she's the one who reigns supreme, Leah will get a major boost of confidence! Hang in there...hopefully spring will put an end to all the bugs going around and allow you to get out more! (Oh, and I just love big brother Luke's comments! He's going to be such a protective brother over those beautiful sisters when they're older!!)
Aww, Luke's comments just melt my heart. Big brothers are awesome. Until they steal your Bon Jovi tape or make fun of you when you have to practice the piano while they get to go outside and play. Ahem, I digress.
I loved that episode of The Office. Working in the infant feeding business, I am surrounded all day with talk of baby bottles and breast feeding. I totally appreciated that episode.
As much as I miss being able to visit with you and baby Laney, it sounds as if you are having some precious moments. You know how all to well this stage quickly passes! I think you and the rest of the family has managed to transition into your new lifestyle with such ease and am amazed with how together you seem to have it! Kudos to Michael, I'm so proud of how helpful he is being! I'll be well soon enough and then you will probably wish to be rid of me!
Do you need any visitors? We will be happy to comply. We are all well, we can be suffocating though. Also, feel free to come over here, I'd love to see little laney and you could have a change of scenery.
Enjoy your lazy days with your little one. Isn't it great to cuddle with someone who loves you whether you shower or not? :)
Post a Comment