Thursday, December 10, 2009

What Do I Know of Holy

Have you heard this song by Addison Road? If not, go down to my playlist and click on number five. I'm behind on my advent devotions (the adult ones written in the Jesse tree book), but when my acid reflux kicked in during the night, I got up and read the one about Isaac. When I read the story about Abraham walking his son up the mountain to offer him to God, I got astounded all over again. My head and heart shout "NO!" to him; I don't want him to obey God! And the parallels between that story and the gospel shout back to me. I don't want the sacrifice of Isaac, yet I embrace the sacrifice of One who truly didn't deserve it. The only One who ever walked this earth and didn't deserve the punishment of death. The unfairness of it all bothers me. Can you see Abraham tying the wood to his own son's back? What a picture of God's plan! Jesus bore wood on his back too, as he walked the long road to his own crucifixion. Willingly! The hands that tied Him to the altar weren't just a loving Father's, but holy hands, hands that would pour out His wrath against His own Son. For! Me! What do I really know of holy anyway? How can I imagine what really happened that day when my sins were laid on Him and He bore them all? I'm astounded and think I always will be. This Christmas, I'm grateful for the Baby that was my offering, even from His birth.

3 comments:

Jackie said...

Oh, the Love that will not let me go...

Cindy said...

I feel the same. It's incomprehensible the act of sacrifice...the love behind it...my unworthiness. If that doesn't bring us to our knees...

I also love that song. Always makes me pause.

Melanie said...

Jennifer , what an awesome post. You made me cry. I feel so unworthy of God's grace and I am so thankful.