Friday, July 3, 2009

You're a Genius!

My nephew Tyler was about 6 when I got to know him. He was so cute and excited to do things with me. And he thought I was the bomb! Once, when he was hungry, I said, "How 'bout I make you some macaroni and cheese?" His eyes got big and he said, "You're a genius!" Now he's 18 and still loves me, but has undoubtedly come to realize that my ability to boil noodles does not make me a genius. I retell this to say that I sometimes wish that I could freeze my children at the age that they are right now. We've had a bit of a lazier week (thank goodness), and I've enjoyed just hanging out with my pumpkins. We sang some Disney princess songs on Leah's karaoke machine and Leah was amazed that I knew every word. "How do you sing so good?" she asked, with awe in her voice. You all know that I have a slight advantage over her in that I can read the words on the screen! We painted later that day and I drew a flower that Leah could fill in with paint. Luke said, "Mom, you're like a real artist!" And when we dance and copy the people on "So You Think You Can Dance", my kids actually think I can dance. Every now and then I forget and think I can, too! I break out in the M.C. Hammer or Roger Rabbit and my kids exclaim "Wow!" and "Teach me, Mom!" Oh, how I love young, ignorant children! One day, not too long from now, they'll wake up and realize I'm lame and can't sing or draw to save my life! And they'll beg me to stop dancing in front of their friends! But for now I'll just enjoy the way they look at me. I think I'll go make my boy some Ramen noodles now. He'll be thrilled!
P.S. Below I'm posting pics of a project Leah and I did this week. We scraped the rust and chipping paint off of Joanne's old baker's rack and I repainted it. Now we have a place for that pile of stuff on our back porch! Thanks Joanne! I love that Leah was working hard in a cocktail dress with some goggles on to protect her eyes from pieces of flying paint and rust.


1 comment:

Emily Chappell said...

Rest assured that you aren't the only ones to try to dance like those folks on SYTYCD... you should come to my house. It's a terrible sight.